Image found here
As we returned to school yesterday from our spring break, we dove into our third and final theme: SOAR. Our students began the year working hard building their own unique STRUCTURE for learning and developing a plan of relevant personal goals. In the winter, they were courageous as they began to BLOOM. Students were excelling in their goals, and continued to raise the bar for themselves. Now they are ready to celebrate their growth and SOAR.
Yesterday we began decorating our classroom with inspiration to encourage us all to SOAR. They worked individually to decorate a star that represented their personal goals and aspirations for the remainder of the school year. In teams they developed banners for the windows to inspire others in our school community to SOAR. We reestablished routines and rituals to help us SOAR to success. And above all, students reevaluated their personal goals to SOAR to new achievements.
Today our school Social Worker and her amazing Intern came in and shared a beautiful story, “Incredible You”, written by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer. They share in our desire for students to believe they can SOAR to new heights and celebrate their amazing achievements. The book explains 10 ways to let your greatness shine through, which was a perfect tie-in to our theme. As I thought about each of these, I connected them with the overarching philosophies that Ann and I remind each other of daily; the words of wisdom we truly live by.
1. Share the Good: Attempt to inspire others, and seek out inspiration around us.
2. Find What You Love: Be passionate and never allow fear to guide us.
3. You are Filled with Love: Extend our compassion and empathy to others.
4. Find a Quiet Place Inside: Be mindful and find ways to calm our thoughts to process clearly.
5. Make Today Great: Live in the moment and treasure the day we are standing in.
6. Change Your Thoughts to Good: Recognize the good and presume the best.
7. Take Care of Yourself: We must be healthy and happy to support others.
8. Picture What You Want: Honor our vision.
9. Everyone is Special, Especially You: Take time to celebrate ourselves and our students.
10. Good Thoughts Give You Energy: Thrive on positivity, novelty, and humor.Ann and I model our Building Blocks to Success (Work Hard, Be Courageous, Celebrate Growth) for our students every day, and these 10 ways allowed me to reflect on how even as adults we must allow our greatness to shine through. As we work hard, courage is necessary to help us celebrate our own personal growth. We must soak up our moments of greatness and be careful to not minimize the work we have accomplished. Every goal reached is a stepping stone on our personal journey, and valuing our own personal successes gives us the momentum to keep going through the ups and the downs.
Ann and I attribute our incredibility to our students. They inspire us often and give us the courage to keep going each and every day. They help us believe. Incredible Me… Incredible You… Incredible Us…